GGUSD is committed to keeping our community informed about the impact of the coronavirus public health crisis on our school system. All coronavirus related messages or updates from GGUSD to our families are posted here. For academic, wellness, and community-based resources, click here to visit our COVID Resources page.
Dear GGUSD Families,
It was another wonderful week in GGUSD as we successfully opened another 16 elementary schools for in-person instruction.
Reopening Status: Currently, we have 29 elementary schools open for in-person instruction with the remaining of our 45 elementary schools scheduled to open next week: Brookhurst, Carrillo, Clinton, Crosby, Evans, Faylane, Hazard, Lawrence, Parkview, Peters 4-6, Post, Rosita, Simmons, Stanley, Violette and Warren.
All secondary schools that had previously opened for in-person instruction will be open next week, including Bell Intermediate which opened March 1 and Irvine, McGarvin, Ralston, and Walton intermediate schools and Hare High School which are set to open Monday, March 8.
While we had hoped Orange County would be in the Red Tier this week, county COVID-19 case rates came in at 7.6, missing the 7.0 mark by a fraction. We anticipate that we will make the Red Tier next week and can begin reopening the remainder of our secondary schools. Tentatively, we are planning to open our remaining intermediate schools (Alamitos, Doig, Fitz, Jordan, Lake) and Pacifica High School on March 17th and our remaining high schools (Bolsa Grande, Garden Grove, La Quinta, Los Amigos, Rancho Alamitos and Santiago) on March 22nd.
We appreciate the support of our students, families and staff as we work together to resume in-person instruction at all campuses. Click here to read our “COVID-19 Prevention Checklist” to learn about the many ways that parents can help keep our schools and students safe.
VACCINE DISTRIBUTION: This week, California opened availability for all school district employees to receive the COVID-19 vaccine. GGUSD is fortunate to host the county’s first vaccine distribution pod for the education sector and we have successfully vaccinated almost 1,000 GGUSD employees just this week.
JOIN US ON MONDAY: All parents, staff, and intermediate and high school students are invited to our Choose Wellness Event this Monday, March 8 from 5:30 to 7:30 to attend two workshops led by local experts on a variety of mental health and wellness topics. Click here to view a list of the workshops and select the two that are most interesting to you. To RSVP, visit https://bit.ly/ChooseWellness2021, select the workshops you plan to attend and request interpretation if needed. Our GGUSD community has been deeply impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic and months of distance learning. Never has the topic of wellness been more important than it is right now. We hope to see you there!
GRAB AND GO MEAL UPDATE: Grab and Go meal service is currently being offered at schools that are reopen for in-person instruction. Beginning March 8, the Curbside Drive-Through Grab and Go Meal Service will be offered Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at all seven comprehensive high schools including Bolsa Grande, Garden Grove, La Quinta, Los Amigos, Pacifica, Rancho Alamitos, and Santiago high schools.
Have a wonderful weekend.
- Weekly Reopening Update - February 19, 2021
- Weekly Reopening Update - February 11, 2021
- Weekly Reopening Update – February 5, 2021
- Weekly Reopening Update – January 29, 2021
- Reopening Announcement - January 20, 2021
- Distance Learning Support, Survey Results, Vaccine Resources, Mental Health and More
- GGUSD Update for Families
- All GGUSD Schools resume Distance Learning Jan 4.
- Wishing You a Safe Holiday Season
- Regional Stay-at-Home Order
- Criteria for Schools to Remain Open
- New Restrictions on Gatherings and Travel
- Reopening Update – November 13, 2020
- Reopening Reminder: Frequent Hand Washing
- Grab and Go Meal Update
- High School Reopening Announcement
- Weekly Reopening Update – October 30, 2020
- Weekly Reopening Update - October 23, 2020
- School Reopening Announcement
- Weekly Reopening Update - October 16, 2020
- Weekly Reopening Update – October 9, 2020
- School Reopening Announcement
- Weekly Reopening Update - October 2, 2020
- Weekly Reopening Update - September 25, 2020
- Weekly Reopening Update – September 18, 2020
- POSTPONEMENT OF IN-PERSON CLASSES
- Weekly Reopening Update – September 11, 2020
- Important Announcement about School Reopening
- Weekly Reopening Update – August 28, 2020
- First Day of Distance Learning is August 24
- Weekly Reopening Update – August 14, 2020
- Weekly Reopening Update – August 7, 2020
- Weekly Reopening Update - July 31, 2020
- Weekly Reopening Update - July 24, 2020
- Important Announcement from GGUSD
- Weekly Reopening Update and Survey Question - July 17, 2020
- Weekly Reopening Update - July 10, 2020
- Weekly Reopening Update – July 2, 2020
- Weekly Reopening Update - June 26, 2020
- Weekly Reopening Update - June 19, 2020
- End of Year Update
- Elementary Report Cards
- GGUSD COVID-19 Response Plan for Parents
- GGUSD COVID-19 Response Plan for Students
- GGUSD Virtual Graduations for Class of 2020
- Pandemic Electronic Benefit Transfer Cards
- District Update
- Cancellation of Summer Sports
- GGUSD Senior Spotlight
- GGUSD Launches Helpline to Support Students and Families during COVID-19
- Expectations for Student Behavior during Distance Learning - 5/13/2020
- Interim Grading Policy - 5/8/2020
- Virtual Graduations - 4/30/2020
- School Calendar Clarification - 4/29/2020
- At-Home Learning Support - 4/24/2020
- Frequently Asked Questions for High School Seniors - 4/16/2020
- Grab and Go Meal Update - 4/14/2020
- Grab and Go Meal Update - 4/09/2020
- Mailer to All GGUSD Families - 4/02/2020
- Coronavirus Update - 4/02/2020
- Coronavirus Update - 3/31/2020
- Coronavirus Update - 3/30/2020
- Coronavirus Update - 3/27/2020
- Coronavirus Update - 3/20/2020
- Coronavirus Update - 3/18/2020
- Coronavirus Update - 3/16/2020
- Coronavirus Update - 3/14/2020
- Coronavirus Update - 3/13/2020
- Coronavirus Update - 3/12/2020
- Coronavirus Update - 2/28/2020
- Coronavirus Update - 1/29/2020
Things You Should Know
- Governor Newsom declared a Stay at Home executive order effective March 19, mandating individuals across the state to, except for essential services, remain in their homes to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Click here for the details.
- The order does NOT change the directive for school districts to continue offering distance learning and meal service for our students. These are considered essential services.
- As part of our transition to at-home learning, the district is closing its schools and district office to the public effective Monday, March 23. The majority of GGUSD’s employees are working from home, responding to calls and emails as quickly as possible.
- Teachers are working diligently to provide learning opportunities that can be accessed from home and schools have distributed laptops/devices to students as appropriate.
- Parents are strongly encouraged to make sure your contact information is up to date in the Parent Portal. This will ensure that you receive regular communication from GGUSD via ParentSquare (voicemail, text, and/or email).
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Coronavirus
- Orange County Health Care Agency: Coronavirus
- OC Health Care Agency: Guidance to Schools
- OC Health Care Agency: FAQ
- California Department of Public Health: Coronavirus
- CDC Healthy Habits to Help Prevent the Flu
- OCDE Newsroom: Coronavirus updates